This year’s 29th Performing Arts Festival Concert was held at the Perth Concert Hall on Monday 10th September 2018.
The evening began with an official welcome by our two comperes for the evening, Mrs Genevie Baker and Mrs Liana Strutt. Genevie and Liana welcomed official guests including:
- Most Reverend Timothy Costelloe SDB, Archbishop of Perth
- Most Reverend Donald Sproxton, Auxiliary Bishop
- Very Reverend Peter G Whitely VG, Vicar General
- Monsignor Michael Keating
- Mr Peter Yensch, Deputy Executive Director Catholic Education Western Australia
- Mr John Aldous, Chair of Catholic Arts and other invited guests, parents and students.
The stage was then filled by the 36 Shield Recipients from this year’s Performing Arts Festival who paraded their shields proudly.
Various performances followed which showcased the many talents of our Catholic school students including Choirs, Concert Bands, Vocalists, Drama, Dance as well as spotlight performances by very talented soloists and duets. This year’s Program was an amazing display of the young talent that exists in our Catholic Schools. They are to be congratulated on the success of the night.
The evening was highlighted with the presentation of awards. Mr Lionel Cranfield, our major Sponsor from Zenith Music presented the following:
The Zenith Commendation Award for Sustained Improvement Primary and Secondary
- St Peters Primary School
- Newman College
Zenith Awards for Country/Metropolitan Primary and Secondary Schools for Overall Excellence in Performance and Participation in the Spirit of the Festival
- Mandurah Catholic College
- St Mary’s College, Broome
- Orana Catholic Primary School
- Trinity College
Four major scholarships were awarded this year:
- Vera Chidlow Scholarship for Pianoforte
- The Chapman Scholarship for Secondary Strings
- The Catenian Association Scholarship for Secondary Woodwind/Brass
- St John of God Health Care Scholarship